Results: I went Friday to take the glucose test. My precious doctor just called me with the results. She said, "You're not too sweet! Your numbers were perfect!!"
Whew! What a relief! I'm so glad to finally get some good news! I felt like I had taken a beating last Wednesday. That had gotten my spirits down, but of course I've tried my best to stay upbeat and positive.
The test: The test in itself was not as bad as I had imagined it would be. I got to the hospital in Tupelo a few minutes after 8. They immediately got me in to do paperwork, and off to the lab I went.
My doctor had given me some great tips on how to survive during the test. I was overly prepared - stocked with People magazines, one of Benjie's dirt track magazines, several pregnancy magazines, a crossword puzzle book, and all kinds of pregnancy pamphlets to read.
Fortunately, we (there were two other pregnant women in the lab with me) got to sit in recliners - and you can imagine how cold it was in there. Not only did they give us blankets, but they gave us really WARM blankets! You know I was excited over that!
The day COULD have been just fine had it not been for the shows that pregnant woman #1 insisted we watch on tv. And yes, one show even talked about how horrible gestational diabetes are. Word to the wise: Discovery Health is not a good channel to watch while pregnant.
They drew my blood the first time just minutes after I arrived. After waiting a while, they gave me five minutes to drink orange sugar in a bottle. Okay, it was really an orange drink, but it was really, really sweet. The first few sips were a breeze getting down, but after that, it got pretty tough. I had not eaten or drunk anything since before bedtime the night before.
They drew my blood three more times, each time being an hour later. The nurse and I had a little bump in the road after my second stick. Something wasn't correct on the bandage, and we'll just say that I'm lucky my shirt wasn't red after that.
I had absolutely no cell phone service in the lab, but I did convince the receptionist to let me use the phone to call my dear friend, Amber. She works at the hospital, and Benjie & I had designated her to check up on me. After all, not eating and having blood drawn four times will wear a pregnant woman out! I was unable to reach her, but I left her a voicemail. Right before my last stick, Amber walked in the lab! She didn't get my voicemail, but she came to the rescue anyway! I don't think I've ever been happier to see her! I was doing better than expected, but at the same time, I was just ready to get out of there. We had to wait a little while after the last drawing, but once I was free to go, we decided on lunch at Abner's. I talked to Benjie on the way to my truck, and of course that made me feel a lot better just finally being able to talk to him. However, the moment I sat down in my truck, the weakness hit.
We finally made it to Abner's, and I was sooooo happy to finally be able to eat. Poor Amber had to listen to me ramble on and on, as well as sit there with me while I ate every single thing on my plate. Even right after we ate, I was still weak, but there was no comparison to how I felt before. When I got home, I had to run several errands, but after I finished, I spent the rest of the afternoon napping.
Today: My arms still make me look like a drug addict, but the soreness is almost completely gone. I was sick just a little bit last night, but so far, everything is going well today!
I've already shared the good news with Benjie, and we're both so thankful for the great results. We give God all the glory!
Monday, August 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Amen!!! I'm glad your results turned out positive. Tell Baby Houston I love her/him...
Thanks for letting us stay at your house this weekend. We had a wonderful time!
Great! I'm so glad you got a good report. It's about time!! Anyway thanks for keeping us up to date with everything. Love You~
Im glad your results were good!!
Good to see you this weekend. love ya
Post a Comment