I knew our day was coming. I just didn't know when it would be.
On July 8, 2010, at 17 months old, we made our first trip to the emergency room.
While Knox and I were working at the shop, he found an open container of brake fluid that had been drained from Daddy's racecar. And just like with everything else, he put it in his mouth.
Knox cried and started walking towards me with brake fluid spilled down the front of his shirt.
I immediately called Daddy and washed Knox's mouth out as best as I could. We were both crying, although I was trying so very hard to be calm.
Because our nurse practicioner's office was closed for lunch at the time, I texted her. She replied and told me to call Poision Control.
While I was on the phone with PC, Knox fell asleep. This really worried me, but the PC lady was not alarmed. During his three hour nap (which is so rare), Poison Control called several times to check on him. He was fine - sleeping soundly in his bed, breathing okay, and not coughing.
He's gonna be fine. He's gonna be fine. My mind raced and raced for four hours.
When my little buddy finally woke up from his nap, he walked over to my desk. He didn't stumble - he didn't act any differently. His mouth was still very swollen, but other than that, he seemed fine. Yea! My little buddy is okay!
While I was loving on him in my arms, he looked at me strangely and began to cry. Then all of a sudden, he threw up. I cleaned us up, and then he threw up again. I felt SO sorry for him! My heart was broken, but I thought throwing it all up would make him feel better.
While I was cleaning up the vomit, he tried to walk to the garbage can. Within three feet, he bumped into the wall twice. When he tried walking to the steps, he had to hold on to the recliner to keep from falling down.
I wanted to keep crying, but I knew I needed to tell Poison Control. I called them back, and because this was all occuring four hours after the injestion, they were not comfortable with us staying at home.
To the ER we go. They were expecting us, so it didn't take very long to get admitted. But while we waited, Knox waved at the other patients as if he was waving in slow motion.
Daddy walked in right after the nurse took Knox's blood pressure.
I had a few emotional breakdowns while we were waiting, but then - all of a sudden - Knox started acting like Knox again! Peyton walked in, and Knox really got wound up!
When the doctor came around, I told her I was certain we could go home because Knox was back to "normal."
She checked his tummy, his lungs, and his mouth, and sure enough, he was good to go! We rejoiced, praised God, and let out big sighs of relief! Our little buddy is going to be okay!
Sunday, July 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Bless his little heart! I'm sure glad he is ok! I know you were scared to death! And, I cannot believe he is 17 months old already!
HOW DID I MISS THIS????
I had no clue that this happened. I can't believe my nephew went to the ER, and I didn't know.
:(
Post a Comment